Conditions Treated by Acupuncture
Acupuncture Conditions Treated
Each acupuncture treatment builds upon the last. A minimum of 5 sessions at least once per week is recommended. After a noticeable shift that holds for at least one month, maintenance treatments are a great way to anchor in positive changes. They also help resolve new challenges more quickly.
While many people respond very quickly to Acupuncture in just a few sessions, others with chronic health challenges may require a longer series of treatment (i.e. several cycles of treatment once a week for several months). Overall balance is typically maintained in seasonal or monthly treatments.
Most pain conditions respond best when treatments are given 1-2 times per week over a course of a month.
A course of treatment will vary, depending on lifestyle, health history, and how long the imbalance has been present.
Conditions treated by acupuncture may include the following:
• Headaches and Migraines
• Autoimmune disorders
Acupuncture for Wellness
• Self care and balance
• Stress relief
• Immune support
• Increased energy and resilience
• Rashes (often appear when there are other underlying health issues to be addressed)
• Stomach upset and GI health
• Chronic colds, cough, low immunity
• Anxiety and mood imbalances
• Acute and chronic pain
• Processing trauma with a mind/body approach
Mt. Emei, Sichuan Province, China ©The Present Sage Acupuncture
• Heartburn, Acid Reflux
• Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS)
• Chronic indigestion
• Chronic loose stools or constipation
• Acute and chronic gastritis
• Nausea and vomiting
Women’s Health and Wellness | Post-partum health & wellness
- Dysmenorrhea (painful period)
- Amenorrhea (absence of period)
- Preparation for labor
- Menopause: hot flashes, night sweats
Pain and Sports Injuries
• Back, neck and shoulder pain
• Leg, knee, ankle and foot pain
• Arm, wrist and hand pain
• Muscle pain
• Carpal tunnel syndrome
• Repetitive strain injuries
• Postoperative pain
- Acupuncture point stimulation encourages the body to eliminate harmful substances stored in the tissue due to environmental toxins, a history of drug use, or heavy medication use.
- Chronic illness that has not been particularly responsive to other standard treatments (working in conjunction with your western MD.) Acupuncture diagnostic methods assesses the overall health of the body to identify channels and meridians in need of support, helping the body to heal naturally.
Creative Health and Expression
- Acupuncture for Creative Health. In MaryFatimah’s clinical and personal experience, restoring creativity is also side effect of acupuncture. When the qi (energy) is balanced, natural expression is restored. However it is noted here specifically because this area of focus is not something many people would consider under the realm of acupuncture. Having worked with artists, writers, and other frustrated creatives to help them get “unstuck” and progress in their creative process, MaryFatimah loves working with clients to help them realize creative projects.
- Bells Palsy
We have identified alterations in neuronal activity and
neurotransmitters due to acupuncture therapy, and verified acupuncture’s functional mechanism of action in the central nervous systems for neurological and other diseases.” Integrative Medicine Research, 2014 Jun; 3(2): 41–48.
We recommend an initial visit followed by a series of 5, 10, or 20 visits as needed. Please consult with Mary Fatimah Weening after your first session to discuss how many treatments are recommended.
Treatments are cumulative. Most pain conditions respond best when treatments are given two times per week over a course of a month. Once there is measured improvement, treatments may be spaced out to weekly, or every other week.